Owners left devastated after inferno guts factory

2022-04-05
  • Detail
Owners left devastated after inferno guts factory - Today News Post News Today || Headlines Today

The owners of a commercial laundry in Belmont have been left devastated after an intense blaze ripped through their building, causing the building to collapse as black toxic smoke spewed into the air.

Firefighters rushed to Atlas Linen Services after receiving a triple-0 call about 6.30am on Sunday which sparked a response by a team of 50 crew from nine stations.

Basil Lenzo, who has owned the business with his wife Georgiana for two decades, said he had been told the blaze started in a truck outside and quickly jumped to the building. The cause of the blaze was not being treated as suspicious.

Camera IconThe scene from the air. Credit: 7NEWS

It took more than six hours to control the fire, a risky exercise with the roof of the factory collapsing as firefighters fought to save surrounding businesses from the same fate. The fire was declared as contained and controlled at 1pm. Contractors were then called in to demolish the building, a process that could take a number of days.

Copyright © 2011 JIN SHI